Meditation can be a very effective tool towards addressing one?s health, and yet unfortunately deterrent thoughts such as ?I don?t have time? or ?I can?t calm my mind? keep us from wonderful benefits. Meditation is designed to move our mind away from the constant activity to experiencing the present moment awareness.
Examples of Our Constant Activity
We are driving. We are riding a bike. Or maybe even talking to a buddy. All the while running through a constant list of to do?s in your mind… “not enough time… the bills… the kids… the dog.”
Present Moment Awareness
Being in the present moment means fully experiencing sitting down to have a cup of tea. Allowing yourself to notice the steam as it rises from the cup. Feeling the blowing of cool air, as cools the cup. Noticing the warmth of the cup between your hands.
To aid in addressing common misconceptions, we?d like to answer the top 5 commonly asked questions. Take note of the tips that resonate and cultivate your curiosity.
What do I need to Get started?
Here is a very detailed list: YOU. That is all, that is it.
- How do I know if I?m doing it right? If you are breathing, then you are likely doing it right! Avoid judgment of yourself, you deserve 5 minutes to give yourself space.
- Will Meditation work? Don?t believe me, believe the science. A google search will pull thousands of research findings and academic papers detailing the benefits of meditation. Benefits include enhancing stress management, restful sleep, cognitive functions, and physical emotional well-being.
- I?m nervous to start a meditation practice, where should I begin? Some meditation experts suggest a doctor-designed emotional healing process to get in touch with your body and release underlying physical emotional stress.
- Avoid Myths! For some reason there is a notion that meditation is to not think. That is nearly impossible, some believe we humans have approximately 60,000 – 80,000 thoughts a day. We will think, even during meditation.
- I Don?t Have Time: If you washed your hands today, took out the trash, boiled an egg, checked your inbox, you have enough time.? There are many types of meditation. You can have walking meditations, sitting meditations, working meditations, or even Chocolate meditations. Yum!
If you need a community around starting a practice, speak to your holistic health professional who can offer guidance.
Simply remember to be gentle with yourself.
You are so deserving.